published under license CC4-BY
posted in category Systems Software / LineageOS
posted at 29. Nov '22
last updated at 06. Jan '23
Howto Upgrade LineageOS From 18.1 to 19.1
All steps are the same as upgrading from 17.1 to 18.1, just new file names.
A couple of months ago a major update landed in LineageOS updater for my phone (Oneplus 6 - codename enchilada). Originally I put there Android 10 - LineageOS 17.1 and the newest is Android 12 - LineageOS 19.1.
As major updates cannot be automatically installed, I went to follow the upgrade guide and do it manually.
The update went smoothly and there were no problems.
Basically I followed the upgrade guide and searched for some additional stuff.
- application data (SMS, calls, …), data on an internal storage (Whatsapp stuff, downloaded files, …) and microSD card content survive the upgrade
- recovery update is not needed
- update to latest LineageOS 18.1
- enable developer mode by tapping 7 times on phone info in settings and enable USB debugging and ADB only
- connect phone to the computer and select as connection type USB debugging and confirm the fingerprint
- now you should see your device in
adb devices- might need to run as root
- download lineage from https://download.lineageos.org/enchilada
- download Google Apps if you want - MindTheGapps - I need them, because some application won’t work without them unfortunately (vendor lock-in ftw)
adb reboot sideloadand wait until it boots into recovery
- upload new lineage with
adb sideload ~/Downloads/lineage-19.1-20221122-nightly-enchilada-signed.zipand wait until it uploads and installs
- then click Advanced and Reboot to Recovery and after reboot Apply Update and Apply from ADB and then
adb sideload ~/Downloads/MindTheGapps-12.1.0-arm64-20220605_112439.zipand wait until it uploads and installs
- and it’s done!