Howto Upgrade LineageOS From 17.1 to 18.1
Recently a major update landed in LineageOS updater for my phone (Oneplus 6 - codename enchilada). Originally I put there Android 10 - LineageOS 17.1 and the newest is Android 11 - LineageOS 18.1.
As major updates cannot be automatically installed, I went to follow the upgrade guide and do it manually.
The update went smoothly and there were no problems.
Basically I followed the upgrade guide and searched for some additional stuff.
- application data (SMS, calls, …), data on an internal storage (Whatsapp stuff, downloaded files, …) and microSD card content survive the upgrade
- recovery update is not needed
- update to latest LineageOS 17.1
- enable developer mode by tapping 7 times on phone info in settings and enable USB debugging and ADB only
- connect phone to the computer and select as connection type USB debugging and confirm the fingerprint
- now you should see your device in
adb devices- might need to run as root
- download lineage from https://download.lineageos.org/enchilada
- download Google Apps if you want - MindTheGapps - I need them, because some application won’t work without them unfortunately (vendor lock-in ftw)
adb reboot sideloadand wait until it boots into recovery
- upload new lineage with
adb sideload ~/Downloads/lineage-18.1-20210504-nightly-enchilada-signed.zipand wait until it uploads and installs
- then click Advanced and Reboot to Recovery and after reboot Apply Update and Apply from ADB and then
adb sideload ~/Downloads/MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210412_124247.zipand wait until it uploads and installs
- and it’s done!